Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

Thursday, March 6, 2008

I Am Stopping The Chantix Due To Side Effects

This would have been my fourth day on Chantix but I decided to stop taking it already. I did not like the side effects from it. Today would have been the day that I started taking two pills (you start out on one and work up to two). I figured if I hated the way it made me feel on one pill then there is no way I could handle two. Then by next week, it works you up to an even higher dose per pill! Nope, not for me.

By the evening of the first day I took it, I had a rather strange lower backache. My back never hurts so that was very unusual. The backache stayed with me all three days that I took the Chantix. My whole body felt very heavy and sore. My legs were achy and tired. I was also rather lethargic and felt very tired mentally as well. I have also been in a rather pissy mood.

Of course, many people might say that the symptoms above had nothing to do with the Chantix. I know myself and what is normal and what is not normal. These things were NOT normal for me. I made the decision to stop before it got too out of hand. Since I did not take my pill today, I already feel a touch better. My mind is not as cloudy although I do not feel as sharp as usual yet.

I Googled back pain and Chantix and was very surprised (and relieved) to find out that A LOT of people complain about this when using Chantix. In fact, everything I mentioned seems to be fairly common to the drug. Then I read about a lot of people having more extreme symptoms once they STOPPED using Chantix due to withdrawal from the drug itself. I know I am better to stop using it now rather than stopping from a higher dosage.

This is just my experience. A lot of people love it and seem to have no ill effects. On the other hand, my Google search came up with thread after thread of negative discussions about Chantix. Everybody is different and it makes sense that the same drug can cause different reactions in different people.

If you have used Chantix, please relate your experience. Good or bad, I would love to hear what you think about it.

11 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm glad you know what's normal for you & stopped before you had a serious problem.

Most of the bad things I've read about Chantix were mental. Crazy dreams, depression, psychotic episodes, suicide...

My doctor was trying to push it on me too, but gave me a few months to quit on my own first.

I think that (and the fact that she wouldn't renew my prescription for my birth control pills unless I quit) was/is why I'm still quit.

It's only been 40 days, but I know I'm stubborn enough not to start again after that long - no matter how hard it is!

Kelly said...

40 days is wonderful, congratulations! Is it still hard for you or has it become a lot easier now that so much time has passed?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelly said...

It's easier, mostly. I only have a hard time when I'm relaxing. If I'm busy, I barely think about it. But just sitting around watching tv or something is still a bit tough.

Though, I haven't really been around smokers either.

That test is on Saturday. My first large-ish social gathering since quitting. At a friend's house, where I'll be able to see all the smokers out on the patio...

Kelly said...

I am glad it is easier after some time has passed. Don't sweat Saturday, you have come so far and have been a non-smoker for so long now that I am sure you will be able to stand back from the smoking scene and feel proud!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to all who have successfully quit smoking! 40 days is wonderful. I just wanted to share that I tried quitting several times with no success. I decided to try a smoking cessation medication, and chose Chantix. I was a little hesitant at first because of the side effects I'd heard about, but figured, what could be worse than the awful nicotine withdrawals? I'm so glad that I gave chantix a chance. Within the first week my craving for cigarettes were drastically reduced (and I smoked at least a pack a day). I did have quite a bit of nausea so I took it with food and that helped tremendously. By my second week, I was virtually smoke free, still failing to kick that "first thing in the morning cigarette". But I kept taking the Chantix and believing in myself and that this time I could quit for good. That was 3 months ago, and now I'm still going strong! I owe my freedom from tobacco not only to Chantix, but to my own will power as wel. If you truly believe you can do it, you can. There's nothing wrong with asking for a little help! :) I don't have health insurance and found a website that offered Chantix online without a prescription. If any of you are in this same boat please don't let it deter you! The website is http://www.quitsmokingrx.org and they have very affordable prices. They also offer Zyban, another smoking cessation drug if you prefer to try that. The thing about these two medications is that they are the only 2 FDA approved drugs like it that don't use nicotine as a replacement. They instead block the nicotine to control the cravings. I really recommend you give it a try! Best wishes to all!!

Anonymous said...

My lady wife is on these pills, so far she hasn't experienced any side effects and she's two weeks in. All the best and good luck for the future.

Kelly said...

I am glad they are helping your wife. I hope she keeps it going! Thank you :)

assh8 said...

hi, I am a 30 year old women. I had 3 miscarraige.i don’t have children. My doctor adviced me to stop smoking.i tried but I feel I am addict to smoking. I really wish to have a happy life ahead with my family. Pls help me get it.

Mitchelle Adams said...

If smokers really want to quit, they should not engaged their self to another addicting thing again, like chantix.

Disadvantages of Smoking said...

Great website thanks for the share.